Wednesday, February 2, 2011

To Bacon Or Not To Bacon


Bacon. The look, the smell, the crunch, even the greasy fingers after....there is nothing I do not love about bacon. Except soggy limp bacon, that is unacceptable. Bacon need to be cooked and cooked until its 1/10 its original size and practically crumbles in your hand :)


We are completely and thoroughly iced in. So in anticipation, Steve went to the store last night and got some more milk and eggs and bacon so we could have a yummy breakfast, at my request by the way. I decided to make my family bacon and pancakes, we never have the time to have a hot homemade meal like that for breakfast as a family so I was excited to do this. The kids were at the table and Steve was doing dishes while I started to fry up the bacon. I did my homework last night and knew that I could have a couple slices of bacon for around 4pts, awesome!

So I'm frying up the bacon and the amount of grease in the pan grew and grew and grew, I mean seriously by the end the bacon was swimming. I've never fried bacon. I never paid attention when my parents made bacon. We always make turkey bacon or get the microwave kind so I had no idea and let me tell you I WAS DISGUSTED! Ick! I ate one piece out of the first batch and was looking forward to my 2nd and 2rd piece I'd allotted for myself. That didn't happen. I was so grossed out seeing the bacon prepared, and feeling all greasy from the splatter from the pan, that I passed my beloved burnt bacon onto my husband to be happily consumed.

I grabbed a strawberry WW yogurt and dumped it in a bowl, measured out my 1/3c of lowfat granola and added that to the yogurt. Add a big glass of ice water and I've got a much healthier, and to be honest much more satisfying, breakfast. Yeah I would have like a pancake or two but I didn't NEED them. I'm going to have an orange or banana in a bit and some cheese and crackers for a snack and leftover stuffed shells for lunch. I'm very very much looking forward to the parmesan chicken fingers for dinner that have become a big family favorite.

So you see, I CAN have bacon and pancakes, I DO have enough points to enjoy it without guilt but I CHOSE to go another route. I will be having bacon again, but someone else can cook it!

1 comment:

  1. I make bacon in the oven. It is SO much better! On WW you can have Gwaltney bacon for not too many points, or turkey bacon. Try it in the oven. It's delicious!

    I don't think I could live without the possibility of bacon. It is so good.

    ReplyDelete