Monday, July 18, 2011

Oh My Avocado!





I so love when I discover a food that, previously, I might have claimed not to like (without ever trying usually) and it turns out that I really like it.  Avocados are a perfect example.  I got brave and tried a friends sushi (california roll actually) and with it, avocado, for the first time about a year ago.  I've been hook on sushi ever since and have eaten much avocado that way but not any other.  A few weeks back I got a super yummy salad at a local restaurant that had sliced avocado on it and it was the best thing I've ever eaten!  So I got the great idea last week to recreate this salad at home, thus able to control the ingredients and points value a little better...not to mention its so much cheaper!  I wish I'd have thought to get a picture but it was so good I gobbled it up to fast each time.  Want to make your own?  I'll show you everything I used :)

I've been using Spring Mix lately and love how colorful and tasty it is 

I use about 1/2 of a medium size avocado, diced or sliced
I've found precooked and sliced grilled chicken in the deli section at Target, very yummy and ready to go out of the package
I only use about 1/2oz because these yummies are higher in points.  You could sub in sliced almonds as well.

Bacon bits...need I say more?
You could do any variation of ingredients, cranberries, fruits, cheese...whatever!  It's all yummy :)  I like the combo above because it's satisfying and crunchy.  I top it off with a few tbsp or Asiago Peppercorn dressing and voila!  I could eat this everyday and never get bored.  Because the avocado is creamy I find I don't have to use as much dressing, the creaminess covers the lettuce and I get the 'appearance' of tons of dressing without the tons of points.  SCORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment