Monday, May 2, 2011

Enter Spaghetti Squash!

So here we go!  I headed to the store tonight and purchased my very first spaghetti squash.  To be honest, I didn't even know where to look for it!  HA!  I mean, I knew it was in the produce but I'd avoided anything gourd-like my whole life so I always kind of looked over that aisle.  I got a nice sized one and headed home.

I read about 2 easy ways to prepare it: in the oven or in the microwave.  Both were suppose to produce the same quality and texture with the microwave just being a bit faster.  I figured, if I have to cut the thing in half I should just try both methods for comparison!  I also decided on 3 different 'finished products' to try....
        1) with marinara sauce 
        2) with pesto sauce  and 
        3) with olive oil and salt and pepper

Here is what I came up with.

That sucker was not easy to chop in half!  It was easy to clean out though :)  Into the microwave with you!


About 10 minutes later and voila!  It turned into 'noodles' just like it was supposed to.  I have to say I got a little giddy.


I tried a bit with the pasta sauce and it was really quite good.  Then I tried a bit  with some pesto, which I totally love on regular pasta, added a sprinkle of mozzarella and some grated parmesan and HOLY COW!!!  That was super good and will probably be a new favorite lunch for me.  Stella helped me scarf this down after she'd already eaten all of her own dinner.


Next came the oven method.  I saw a recipe to rub it with olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper then place it cut side down and cook away...so I did :)


Tell me that doesn't look good!  I had some of this with some spray butter and S&P and it was very very good.  I'll definitely be making this again!

I have to say, while a lot longer to prepare, I think I prefer the oven method.  It was cooked consistently all the way through and every single bit came right out of the skin.  In the microwave the inside was soft but the closer to the skin was still crunchy so I just popped it back in for a few extra minutes.

So, to wrap it up...very yummy and will make again!

1 comment:

  1. I love the pesto, mozzarella idea! I'm going to have to copy that one!

    When you put it in the microwave, did you put it face down in water? I usually use a glass pan w/ about a 1/2 to 1 inch of water and it usually cooks pretty well.

    I'm so glad you liked it!!!

    ReplyDelete